Wednesday 15 May 2013

Chilling with Snarks Ou



Kasi Music Kona: Ola Snarks Ou, hope you good fam.

Snarks Ou: Salute boss! I'm all good. and still kicking like Oscar Pistorious's legs. Lol. Kidding. They look. like they rubber by the way. Jokes aside I'm fresh ma dawg. Hope you good too.

Kasi Music Kona: You fresh from Joburg , how are you feeling right now?

Snarks Ou: True that, I feel so wise right now ma dawg you know. I had an advantage of studying Jozi's Hip Hop scene, what the Jozi crowd like compared to Cape Town crowd. I feel so aware.

Kasi Music Kona: You performed at Back to the City Festival, one of the biggest hip hop gatherings in Africa. How did it feel man, to be on that big stage facing the judges?

 Snarks Ou: Back to the City was a great experience man, I had all kinds of fun but I kept on thinking about all the people who recruited people to vote for me. My wish was to see them in the same crowd that was there. To answer the judges part I will just say when you are like me, and by that I mean. When you are so used to being in competitions you end up looking at the judges as audience and rock any big stage like it's a small stage. I was a bit nervous at first but as soon as they said Ou!!! I said Snarks and I regained my confidence. Cats were tight and I was in the top 5. I'm not complaining, especially after the feedback I got from the crowd after I got off stage.

Kasi Music Kona: For those that don’t know who Snarks Ou is, Khawuzazise kubo fam.

Snarks Ou: Everyone knows who Snarks Ou is lol kidding but anyone who doesn't should know about me now coz I'm on Kasi Music Kona and everyone knows about it. Well, Snarks Ou is rapper who started rapping in 2008, opened for Teargas in 2010, performed on SABC 2 in 2011 and performed with the likes of Tumi, Reason and many more. In 2012 I dropped a track titled "Ntombazana" and it got playlisted in 5fm, released an album in March and had another track featuting my boy Axo and it got playlisted on YFM and made it to spot number 3 in  the Hot 99 charts. In 2013, I was one of the top 5 rappers who performed on Back to the City Festival in Johannesburg and the festival was attended by 21000 people. I recently signed with CIA Music. To summarize all that, Snarks Ou is a hustler.

Kasi Music Kona: When is your mixtape (Black Dreams) dropping, and why the title (Black Dreams)?

Snarks Ou: Black Dreams will be dropping later this year not sure about the dates coz I'm busy working on my album. There are 2 or 3 tracks that are out there already. I titled my upcoming mixtape "Black Dreams" coz every track I wrote from the tape was written at night in the dark, every time I get a nightmares I write lines as a memo in my Blackberry and I'm a black man with dreams that I will make come true one day. Basically I'm touching in everything with this tape sad, happy or rude. I'm just keeping it black and real.

Kasi Music Kona: Update us on the mixtape, how far are you with it, and who will be on it and who won’t be on it lol

Snarks Ou: Lol so far. I have Solid Rock on it, I can have sabza, I can have Boss, Black Ace, Axo, Maxhoseni to name a few but I don't want them to be on it. Lol, We will see man, I work with time and if the time dues I cancel features. You don't need any rapper to make it but you believing in what you do, support from fans and God. So features happen unexpectedly.

Kasi Music Kona: CIA Music Hub, Tell us about your relationship with them.

Snarks Ou: CIA Music is my new home, I signed with em when I was in Jozi. Me and CIA always had a mutual respect for each other, He loved and respected my hustle I respected what he was / is doing for local artists such as Rivln Clique, Maxhoseni and Qalazive. He offered to shoot a professional video for me. We developed a working relationship. I asked for a place to stay for 2 days when I got there for the Back to the City gig coz I have no relatives in Jozi but coz we clicked even more when we met. I ended up staying there for almost 3 weeks at his expense, he respects his work I respect mine, he my nigga , he my boss, he is my mentor. CIA Music is home like I said.

Kasi Music Kona: Johannesburg’s hip hop scene, how different is it from Cape Town’s hip hop scene?

Snarks Ou: Jozi & CPT Hip Hop scene is pretty much the same man. The difference with Jozi hip hop is that there are many rappers and they rap with more than 5 languages while we only have Xhosa, English and Afrikaans rappers here. Besides that you still hear the same punches you hear from CPT tracks. Kuyafana bro just that they are more advantaged there as we know that places like SAMRO, Urban Brew Studios, big radio stations, etc. are all there.

Kasi Music Kona: How do people that side feel about your music and your style of music?

Snarks Ou: They say "Inamasimba leh" Hahaha. . . Meaning I'm the illest. Everyone digs my fast flow even the non-xhosa speaking people. I was overwhelmed man. I felt really motivated. I think I got much love that side which got me worried coz they say charity begins at home but apha ekhaya I have been getting nothing but hate for a reason lol. But the love I got out there encouraged me. Shout out to everyone who shows love to Snarks Ou here in Cape Town tho!!

Kasi Music Kona: Any big things coming, we should know about?

Snarks Ou: Yes I have a music video coming soon for the track I'm in featuringt Andiswa Zanele. I'm sorry I couldn't get her to be on the video but she is there in spirit. I'm also dropping an album next year in September under CIA. Qalazive will release everything first so lookout for him. We both under the same label (CIA Music).

Kasi Music Kona: Your hustle dawg, is there any special method you use because we can see the progress?

Snarks Ou: Lol people always laugh at me when I tell em to google. I googled DJ C-live's e-mail, I googled Yfm's postal address, I googled how to get a record deal. . . But I never got it then. It's all about taking actions to what you want to achieve, research about it and don't be afraid to ask from those who are more experienced than you and also be willing to spend a lil bit of cash if you really love what you do. So you must have a budget.


Kasi Music Kona: Last year you dropped an Album, how well did it do?


Snarks Ou: The album did beyond my expectations man, I sold over 400 copies. . . Not bad I would have been happy if I did a 1000 lol . . . I hope I will sell like Zahara in the next one lol

Kasi Music Kona: I know you have a lot of haters in Cape Town and I’m sure they pissed right now. Any message for em?

Snarks Ou: Lol a massage for haters??! Let's see. . . Uhmmm Hi haters. Bye haters. One more thing, fuck you haters!!!


  
Kasi Music Kona: You made your way to perform at Back to the City only because your fans voted for you. Any message for em?

Snarks Ou: I'm kneeling down and thanking you from the bottom of my heart for all the support you've given me. Thank you and God Bless you!!! May you achieve all your future plans.

  
Kasi Music Kona: For cats that still want to see themselves where you at one day. What do you say to them? 


Snarks Ou: Hustle hustle hustle hard! Doors will open eventually boy!!!



Kasi Music Kona: Where can people get hold of you?

Snarks Ou: Search CIA Music Hub and search Snarks Ou on facebook and @snarksou on twitter.


Snarks Ou we respect you man, your hustle is on point and all the best for the future. We don’t wanna say we got ya back but Kasi Music Kona is behind you.



Like Our Facebook Page (Kasi Music Kona):
http://www.facebook.com/KasiMusicKona?ref=hl

2 comments:

  1. An inspiring interview, I'm proud of you Snarks :) keep up the good work! I'm your number1 CPT fan :"D

    ReplyDelete
  2. as an upcoming artist from PE ndifundile nja yam kwi hustle yako thnx bigup

    ReplyDelete